Do you enjoy bike riding? Have you considered taking your dog along for the ride?
Dogs love getting out of the yard. The new sites and smells stimulate your dog's minds, which is just as important as exercising their little legs.
There are a few ways that you can take your dog out on the bike with you. You can, of course, run them on the lead if safe to do so or use trailers on the back but today, I am going to look at baskets.
There are many reasons that you may choose to use a bike basket for your dog. These may include:
- The trip is too far for your best furry friend
- Your dog is injured or has had an operation that prevents them fromm walking too far
- Your dog is getting older and need a little extra care
- Long distances and hard roads may hurt your dogs paws
- The road is too hot to walk on in summer
- But MOSTLY it's just cool and why not take your little mate everywhere with you.
How to safely take your dog in a bike basket
When choosing the dog bike basket make sure that they have some basic safety features. Here are five things to keep in mind when looking to buy a dog bike basket.
1. Stop them jumping out
Some dogs love to chase or bark at things going on around them. Ensure that the dog bike basket has a leash that you can attach to your dogs collar or harness.
2. Stay away from moving bike parts
Dogs can be unpredictable and get very excited, make sure that your dog cannot get his fur, feet or tail or lead into any moving parts on the bike.
3. Attach them to the bike correctly
The last thing you want is fro the basket to drop off mid traffic. Secure the basket to your bike well. Ensure that it is not going to loosen and fall off. Each basket will have different attachments so learn how to put the basket on correctly.
4. Keeping your dog out of the weather
Some dog bike baskets have hoods or covers that make your dogs trip more comfortable. A hood may even work to calm your dog down if he gets too excited.
5. Keep your dog hydrated
Good baskets have compartments that you can store water and snacks for your dog. Even though your dog isn't pounding the pavement, if you are going for a long distance take a drink bottle to give your dog a drink or snack along the way.
9 ways to training your dog to ride in the bike basket
Riding around on the weekend with your dog is great fun. If you are worried about how your dog will travel in the bike basket, Eleanors Blog shows us 9 training tips to help keep your best friend safe and happy.
- Select a bike basket where your dog can sit comfortably inside.
- Add a blanket or pillow to the bottom of the basket for added comfort.
- Tie your dog securely in the basket with a dog harness or leash.
- Walk the bike with your dog in the basket a few times before taking him for a real ride.
- While walking, talk to him and keep a hand on him, urging him to sit and relax. Reward with treats.
- Ride up and down the sidewalk for a few days letting him get used to the movement and turning motions. Keep your hand on him if necessary. Make the sessions short at first and gradually lengthen as he becomes more comfortable.
- Find a bump or rough spot like you would normally encounter while riding and go over it repeatedly and constantly reassure him each time until you notice he is able to anticipate what is going to happen and seems to be more relaxed about it.
- Try to anticipate things that might scare or excite your dog like riding near loud traffic, encountering large dogs, cats or squirrels and expose him to them.
- Reward with treats and in no time you and pooch will ride safely and stylishly.
Which is the best dog bike basket for me?
Bike baskets are suited to smaller, lighter dogs. It is very important that you have a secure basket that will keep your dog safe and secure.
Yes, there are so many bike baskets to choose from so I have listed some the highest-rated and most popular baskets. Each basket is slightly different and will suit different dogs in different ways.
Following is a list of 4 of the best dog bike baskets available:
1. Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket
Now you’re both riding in style. Clean, sporty look with easy installation and a durable polyester exterior that wipes clean and a removable inner pad. The Snoozer Sporty pet bike basket holds up to 15 lbs. Available in red/black/grey or orange/black/grey. US-patented product. 1 Year Limited Warranty.
- Chin rests for pet’s comfort
- Two side water bottle pockets
- Removable rain cover with opening for dog’s head
- 2 large zippered front pockets
- Includes internal harness clip for keeping pet secured
- Reflective accents for added safety
Dimensions for the Snoozer Sporty doggy basket are 10" high x 10" long and 10" high. Ensure you secure the basket well so that you dog is kept safe and sound.
>> Check out prices for the Snoozer Sporty Dog Basket on Amazon
2. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bicycle Bike Basket
The Walky Basket pet carrier, by WALKY, is the ultimate way to take your small pet on a bike ride!
- Twin side pockets and a generous cargo compartment match the essential design.
- A quick release system of unmatched simplicity. And JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR, quality is not an issue here:
- Dogs or pets up to 15lbs- general weight but please measure your pet to make sure will fit as pets come in different space requirements.
- 600D PVC two-tone fabric Short leash to secure your dog inside.
- Nylon buckles; Front zipped hidden pocket;
- Removable meshed top;
- Easy fit shoulder/hand straps, to easily and quickly convert from hand to shoulder carrying position;
- Reflective front band for increased safety; Quick release system, can be used for holding other gear;
- Dimensions: 14.5" is the Length x 15.5" wide x 10" inches Deep
- Suggested for cats, Yorkshires, Jack Russell and dogs of similar size
>> Check out prices for the Walky Dog Carrier on Amazon
3. Solvit Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
The Solvit Taggalong pet bicycle basket is super cute with its traditional look and is one of the most stylish pet carriers on the market. The rattan construction is high quality, durable and weather-resistant. With the sunshade installed, the basket’s breathable construction keeps pets cool and comfortable. With the sunshade removed, pets can “cruise with the top down” on those relaxing, evening rides. The full faux-sheepskin liner cradles pets in comfort and it removes easily for washing. An adjustable safety leash keeps pets secure while riding.
A unique bracket system makes it easy to take the basket on and off a bicycle in seconds with just one hand. Three-way adjustability on the bracket allow for a good fit on any bicycle, without interfering with brake cables.
This carrier is really only suitable for very small and light dogs. The Tagalong holds pets up to 13 lbs. The inside dimensions of the basket are 15”L x 11”W x 9.5”H and it weighs 4 lbs. Solvit offers a lifetime warranty against defective materials and workmanship on this item.
>> Check out the price of Solvit Taggalong Dog Carrier on Amazon
4. Snoozer Pet Bicycle Basket
Bring your dog or pet along on a leisurely bike ride with the Snoozer Dog Bicycle Basket. This patented bike basket provides a safe and comfortable place for your dog to enjoy your company while you ride together. A mesh water bottle pocket gives you the perfect place to store some water for long rides.
- Mesh water bottle holder and pockets for treats
- Includes straps to attach carrier to bike handles
- Includes internal harness clip for keeping pet secured
- Rain cover with opening for pets head
- Available in Grey or Pink
- For pets up to 15 lbs.
- Dimensions: 10″ H x 13″ W x 10″ D
Dog bike baskets are a fantastic ides for those with smaller dogs that want to get out and about with our dogs. Why not pack a picnic, grab your dog and take a ride... Remember to be safe and give your dog time to get used to the basket but most of have fun on the road with your best furry friend.
>> Check out prices for the Snoozer Bicycle Dog Carrier on Amazon