Dogs get bored, just like we do. Dogs want to be a part of the pack, a part of your family. They want to work and play and have fun.
If your dog doesn't have things around him to keep his mind active, interested and alert, you may find your dog becoming destructive. Or worse, just gives up and becomes sad and lonely.
How to mentally stimulate dogs?
There are a few very simple ways to help your dog with boredom. Here are some to try:
- Spend time with your dog every day
- Teach your dog a new trick and practice with him
- Rotating your dogs toys so they get new ones each day or week
- Freeze kibble or vegetables in blocks of ice
- Put kibble or peanut butter inside a kong
- Allow you dogs to see though the gate and be visually stimulated
- Allow your dog some inside time to be with the family. Include some training on how to stay on his bed or out of the kitchen.
- Interactive games or puzzles
Boredom Buster Games for dogs
I love interactive games for my dog Tiger. Being a terrier, my dog is very active and alert. He needs ways to keep his mind occupied and in return he is much more relaxed and calm.
I have previously written an article on chewing. Boredom can be one reason that your dog start to chew on the furniture or your favourite shoes. If your dog is a big chewer, check out our post of Indestructible toys for dogs that chew.
I am always looking for new and exciting ways to entertain dogs and recently watched a program on this new interactive toy, the Boredom Buster and decided to look into it and see how good it really is.
The Game Changer by Bark Busters
The Game Changer is the revolutionary new dog toy that will keep your dog busy for hours. Simply open up the Game Changer and fill it with your dog's
The Game Changer:
- Provides a safe and fun way to satisfy a dog's natural desire to chew by reacting to your dog’s bite - reflexing back when your dog bites down on it.
- Potentially avoids boredom for a period of time. Boredom is often the cause of behavioural issues for dogs such as destructive behaviour or anxiety.
- Is safer for your dog's teeth than hard toys that can potentially chip or wear teeth down.
- Made of Flexa-Pure - a soft but sturdy, washable (hand wash ONLY - no dishwasher), durable non-toxic PBA-free polyurethane material.
- It is a quiet toy if bounced around because it is made of the soft material – great if you live in an apartment or have hard wood floors.
- Two halves that lock together means you can mix and match colours.
- Comes in four (4) vibrant colours – Red, Blue, Lime Green, Yellow
This toy was featured on The Big Pitch at the Super Zoo Pet Show in Las Vegas. Watch below